Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Pharrell Unleashes Bodyguard and Entourage on Celebrity Blogger Outside the "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" Show

After I filmed Seth Rogen arriving at "The Daily Show," I quickly walked from 11th to 6th avenue to film Pharrell, and N.E.R.D.'s departure from the "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" show. I asked Shay Haley, who was the first to exit the NBC studios, how the show went, and he responded very kindly.

Chad Hugo, and Pharrell exited simultaneously through separate revolving doors, but I decided to focus the camera on Pharrell. (I'm sorry, but I'm addicted to "page views".) Boy was that a bad idea. Pharrell immediately put his hands up to his face. He appeared to be joking, because I could see that he was making funny faces behind his hands. Also, the only female in his entourage was looking at him like,"Why are you doing that?"

Things turned ugly when Pharrel realized that he walked up to the wrong SUV. You can tell by his body language that he was livid. But I was like, "Cool, more video!" (Did I mention that I'm addicted to "page views"?) As I was filming Pharrell sign an autograph for a fan, Pharrell unleashed his bodyguard on me. I can't make out exactly what Pharrel said to him, but this is how the conversation went between the bodyguard, and me.

Bodyguard: "Put the camera up. Let me tell you something, put the camera down! I don't want to embarrass you out here. I'm telling you, I don't want to embarrass you out here!"
NYC Celebs: "Put it down? I have to put my camera down?"
Bodyguard: "You can take pictures, but no video."

At that point, I walked several feet away. I wasn't afraid of the bodyguard. No seriously I wasn't afraid of him. He was about 6'4" and I'm 6'4". He had a beard, and I have a (nice) beard. He weighed over 250 pounds, and I weigh a little over 150 pounds. The problem was, I literally visualized him breaking my brand new JVC camera. My camera's life flashed before my eyes.

Thank God he decided to leave me alone, and that is when the some members of Pharrell's entourage jumped him, by aggressively giving me the middle finger as Pharrell walked with his sweater covering his face. I mean, I got the middle finger with passion, emotion, and meaning behind it! I've never gotten the middle finger like that before. Wait! Actually, no one has ever given me the middle finger before.

I don't understand all the hostility. I just wanted to get a behind-the-scenes clip of Pharrell, and N.E.R.D. leaving the show for their fans. (And to increase "page views".) I know there is a whole debate about celebrity privacy, but I was filming them leaving NBC studios - not leaving a crack house!


3 comments:

Fruit Salad said...

Wow...that was mean. And the dude who gave the finger was one of the drummers.

Mesoclever said...

wow.. that was mean.. maybe he didnt want you to see him looking all exhausted and high. It sucks when our idols turn out to be pricks in real life. sometimes its better left as a fantasy than to meet them in reality.

Mo Ibrahim said...

Meso,

I know what you mean. Yeah, I was really disappointed! Even when I went back yesterday to shoot some other celebrities, it was still disturbing.